Hi,
[snip]

Gamma rays are normally absorbed to some extent in normal matter. When such an
event occurs, the energy of the gamma mostly goes into ionizing an atom and
giving kinetic energy to the freed electron. Presumably the remaining ion shares
the momentum with the electron, IOW the ion gets a little kick as well.
The energetic electron can then go on to ionize thousands of other atoms.
Because it is a charged particle, the electron interacts strongly with other
electrons.

In this way, the energy of the gamma is thermalized.

>That is my fear Jones.  A photon has a large energy to momentum ratio as
>compared to an electron.  I would expect to see Compton reflection of the high
>energy gamma as it collides with electrons.  It is very presumptuous to assume
>that the gammas will be absorbed quickly.  Does anyone see how both energy and
>momentum can be conserved during a collision between a high energy gamma and
>any number of electrons?
>

>I suppose that one can look back at the point of origin of the gamma and
>mentally reverse the process.  In that case the nucleus recoiled with much
>less energy than the gamma while it by definition had to conserve momentum.
>Perhaps a large cloud of coupled electrons that scattered in every direction
>carrying off portions of the energy might be able to absorb the total energy.
>The random directions of the dispersion cloud of electrons could balance the
>momentum portion of the equation if a miracle occurred.  Now I know I am a
>heretic with an overactive imagination!
>

>Dave

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk