I always find this subject interesting to discuss.  One could consider every
piece of iron in the universe to posses potential energy in relation to a
powerful magnet.  Any of these iron things could be brought closer to our
magnet and it would find itself subject to a force that could impart energy
onto it.  If the metal item were not held back by some other means such as the
scale that I have spoken of, then it would accelerate toward the magnet and
gain kinetic energy until it collided and releases it in the form of heat or
some other energy.  This process can continue for a while until just the right
amount of iron was attached to the magnet.  This energy had to come from
somewhere and I assume that it is from the original field.

Now the question arises as to what would happen if the iron is now reversed and
removed from the magnet.  I assume that any energy that was extracted in the
form of mechanical work would be returned by applying the same amount in
reverse.  The same should not be true for heat that escaped from the system as
kinetic energy was converted into heat due to a collision unless we supply a
mechanical input that replaces that heat energy.  I guess that should be
possible and if so, the magnet acts as a transformer that converts some of the
mechanical energy into heat.

The bottom line is that a permanent magnet contains energy due to the field
surrounding and within it.  This energy can be extracted with the proper
technique leaving some minimum energy that is beyond our reach due to geometry.
 A second process can be used to regenerate the original energy field by
returning what was borrowed.

The important questions that we need answered are how much actual energy is
stored in the original magnet and how much can we borrow?  Who wants to tackle
these questions?

Dave