I was thinking about the energy that can be extracted by allowing many pieces
of steel to slowly come into contact with a magnet which most likely would not
demagnetize the original magnet.  I think it is actually a way to redirect the
external field.

I had an interesting thought.  Take two identical bar magnets and place them
far apart.  Each one emits a static field from their dipole source that
occupies the region surrounding the magnet.  Theoretically a person could
measure the field at every point in space around one of these magnets and I
assume that it would be a vector with a certain amount of energy proportional
to the magnitude squared.  Sum up the energy from all these points and you
obtain a number related to the total stored.

With two identical magnets, you have twice as much energy stored when compared
to one as long as they are far apart.  Now, you can slowly move them together
into a parallel position touching each other.  If you end up with the poles in
opposition, a force will pull them together and do work against the device that
restricts the movement.  If instead, you place them with like poles together,
there will be a large repulsion force that requires energy to be applied to
obtain the final position.

The combined pair of magnets offers interesting insight into the problem.  A
test of the net final field can be performed as with a single magnet.  The
vector nature of a magnetic field suggests that superposition should apply as
the pair is slowly brought into close contact and that the net field would
exhibit two different values depending upon the poles matching or not.  If the
poles are arranged north against north pole, then the field would be two times
as strong as a single magnet as long as each magnet does not strongly modify
the others operation.  On the other hand, when the north pole of one is against
the south pole of the other, the net field would tend to balance out for our
test device.

It is assumed that the energy stored within a field at a point in space is
proportional to the square of the field intensity.  So, when the magnets are in
parallel north to north, there should be approximately 4 times as much energy
as that contained with just one magnet instead of two times as much which would
be the original sum for a far removed pair.  In the other case, the net would
tend toward zero energy storage since the fields would generate a net vector
sum of zero in the ideal case.

So, if we attach one of my favorite scales to one of the magnets and fix the
other in space and then record the force between the two as they are slowly
moved together we should be able to obtain a number that represents the energy
either absorbed or
released by the pair as they are brought together.  It appears that the same
amount of energy would be measured in both cases which is equal to the total
for two magnets far removed.  I would assume that it would be much easier to
allow the magnets to pull together in the configuration where the poles are
opposite since they would self align in that case.

It seems logical to assume that the energy measured by this hypothetical
procedure would be approximately the same as that obtained by slowly adding
steel around an initial magnet since the end result would be zero external
field which is what you obtain with the opposing pole configuration where the
vectors cancel out.

I recall the behavior of two strong rare earth magnets being moved together and
it is not pretty.  I could not control the position of one relative to the
other as they became closer together no matter how hard I tried.  At the time I
was not interested in the amount of energy required to achieve that goal, but
regardless of that number, I could not force the desired behavior so it was
substantial.  And, it was suicide to get some of your skin between two poles
that were attracted to each other.

Has anyone else attempted to measure the energy stored by the above technique?
Can it be simulated with a computer program that anyone has in their possession?

Dave