Edmund Storms <stor...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> First, most people believe Rossi is a fraud and cannot be believed, but
> they will nevertheless believe him when he claims his heat results from
> transmutation of Ni.

I believe those are different groups of people. Where there is overlap, the
person is saying "assume for the sake of argument that Rossi is telling the
truth . . ."

> As Lou suggests, we need a method that produces the effect reliably. This
> goal is being sought but it must be based on a useful understanding of the
> process. A useful understanding must be based on what has been observed and
> how we now know Nature to function.

Generally speaking yes, but there have been a few discoveries that were
novel and unprecedented, such as x-rays and high temperature
superconductors (HTSC). As I understand it, to explain x-rays, physicists
had to overturn a lot of established physics. Last I checked, HTSC has not
been explained at all.

Until we do explain cold fusion, the possibility remains that it has almost
no connection to previously established physics. That would be something
along the lines of the Mills effect or zero-point energy.

I think it goes too far to say that an explanation "*must* be based on what
has been observed." Revolutionary discoveries such as the x-ray may be
increasingly rare, but we cannot rule them out. To say "how we now know
Nature to function" goes too far. It is only how we think we know. It can
always be wrong. This is described in many books about the philosophy of
science. Physics seldom changes these days, but I think that is a cultural
problem. There are no revolutions because the physicists ignore anomalies.