I find these discussions about LENR to be an amazing example of how people can have beliefs that are in direct conflict with each other and even with reality itself. Let me give two examples.

First, most people believe Rossi is a fraud and cannot be believed, but they will nevertheless believe him when he claims his heat results from transmutation of Ni. They believe him when he claims Cu is the result and now when Fe is suggested. Yet, absolutely no evidence exists for these claims. Nevertheless, long and detailed discussions result.

Second, materials of all kinds have been subjected to conditions having a huge range of values. Temperature from near absolute zero to millions of degrees have been used. Pressures from vacuum to those at the center of the earth have been applied. Yet, nuclear reactions are not initiated, except when a very rare condition is present. Scientists rightly have concluded that chemical conditions cannot cause a nuclear reaction and for very good reasons. Nevertheless, discussions here pretend that this experience does not exist. People suggest and seriously discuss how a nuclear reaction might be initiated without any concern for this huge experience.

As Robin succinctly summarizes "It surprises me that it doesn't happen more often." My surprise is that this statement even needs to be made. I know that reality has creased to exist in the political world, but is this also true in science as discussed on the internet. Yes, we do not know everything about Nature, but we know a lot. Yes, new ideas are useful and fun, but must they have no relationship to what has been discovered over centuries?

As Lou suggests, we need a method that produces the effect reliably. This goal is being sought but it must be based on a useful understanding of the process. A useful understanding must be based on what has been observed and how we now know Nature to function. Unless these two requirements are applied, the effort to get this understanding becomes a waste of time. Without the understanding, trial and error becomes the only available experimental method. So, please make a serious effort to add to the understanding.

Ed Storms

Rather than doing thousands of tests on alternate designs to find one which has no failures over the testing phase, it would be better if they could find the cause by replicating it reliably, to establish with certainty the
chemistry/physics behind the failures.

mixent wrote:

It surprises me that it doesn't happen more often. ;)

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk