On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

"Conflate" is the key word here. This is important! It is a mistake people
> on both sides make.

Yes, definitely -- conflation is a critical mistake, but it is most likely
to occur when it is convenient for one's position.  Throw perpetual motion
machines, homeopathy, polywater and cold fusion all into the same category.
 It does not matter that there appear to be basic differences that make
the comparison strained, at best.  Conflation is less likely to occur when
it is inconvenient to the position you're intending to tendentiously
pursue: plate tectonics, semiconductors and cold fusion are not in the same
category and should be distinguished.

Often conflation is a mistake.  It is hard, for example, to keep in mind
that there are Pd/D experiments, Pd/H experiments, W/D experiments, Ni/H
experiments, etc., and that the results do not necessarily transfer from
one to another.  In this way it is easy to conflate conclusions made about
one set of experiments with another set of experiments. We do that
unintentionally all the time here; I certainly do.

But sometimes conflation is a rhetorical device employed to advance a
purpose unrelated to mutual understanding. I think a person would have to
be mentally unbalanced to doggedly employ such a tactic intentionally in
any more than jest, but there is an area of gray here between a commitment
to intellectual integrity and a commitment to pursuing a strategic end
which can make it hard to avoid such a device and easy to overlook that one
is doing so.

Eric