Joshua Cude <joshua.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

or rather, why do nearly all intelligent people reject it.

I know a lot about this, because I have access to the traffic data at
LENR-CANR.org. The answer is:

1. Most intelligent people do not reject cold fusion, or accept it. Most
people have no knowledge of it. They have no idea whether it exists or not,
and no basis to judge. They sometimes repeat what they read in the mass
media or Wikipedia, but that does not count. In the run-up to the invasion
of Iraq, many people repeated the assertion that Saddam Hussein had weapons
of mass destruction. These people had no knowledge of the situation, no
experience in military intelligence, and -- in short -- no idea what they
were talking about.

2. Taking the group of people who have read papers and who know enough
about science to understand them, a large majority believe that cold fusion
is real. I can tell this from the comments and requests for information
that come to me as librarian.

3. Among people how done a formal review of cold fusion and written a
paper, most believe it is real. They include people such as Gerischer and
Duncan. The only exceptions I know of are Dieter Britz and some of the 2004
DoE review panel members. I consider that review a farce. The negative
comments violate the scientific method in many ways, showing that these
scientists do not know how to do their own jobs. (In every line of work you
will find incompetent professionals, even at the highest levels. The creme
de la creme of Wall Street tycoons and bankers triggered the 2008 crash.
Gen. Colin Powell believed the Iraqi WMD intelligence.)

4. There are small number of hard-core opponents such as Robert Park,
Huizenga, Close, Morrison and the editors of the Scientific American. These
people jumped to the conclusion that cold fusion is wrong. They wrote
highly unscientific papers and books to back this up, which shows that they
do not understand the scientific method. Their arguments are easily refuted
by grade-school level science textbooks. For example, textbooks say theory
cannot overrule widely replicated, high-sigma data.

Unfortunately, some of these people have a great deal of influence at
places such as the Washington Post and the APS. There is tremendous
opposition to cold fusion by the plasma fusion researchers and the DoE,
because they fear losing their funding. Huizenga acted as their attack dog,
a job he loved, which he described with glee, in his book and in
discussions with me and others.

These people have staked their reputations on cold fusion being wrong. They
are emotionally blind to the facts. Huizenga and Morrison looked at the
data, but -- as I said -- they made elementary mistakes. Others such as
Park and the Sci. Am. editors say they have never read a paper, and it is
clear from their statements they know nothing about this subject, so I
assume they are telling the truth. Obviously, this means they have no right
to any opinion, positive or negative.

I summarized some of the extreme skeptics views here:

http://pages.csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/293wikipedia.html

You can see what they say in their own words.