On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Harry Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When blood transfusions were first tried (in 17th century?) some were a
> success and some ended in deaths and nobody knew why. It wasn't explained
> until the discovery of blood typing in the early 20th century. Until then
> blood transfusions were prohibited, for good ethical reasons.

I don't see that as an example of the mainstream rejecting an idea that was
eventually vindicated. They rejected indiscriminate transfusions for good
reasons. Indiscriminate transfusions are still rejected.

> Why must a community comprised of intelligent people demonise certain
> research interests?

What you see as demonizing is just the natural consequence of scientists
making judgements and expressing their views on it. When these are
favorable, scientists are venerated. It's not wrong to express your opinion.