Cude wrote:

> You should keep an open mind to the possibility that cold fusion is not
>> the Wright brothers' airplane. Maybe it's Blondlott’s N-rays. It’s
>> Fedyakin’s polywater.
>>
> These things were never replicated. Only one lab briefly claimed to
replicate polywater, and it soon retracted. These things were never
observed at high signal to noise ratios. Cold fusion has been observed at
20 to 100 W with no input power, albeit on rare occasions. This is palpable
heat. There is not the slightest chance it is a mistake, or a chemical
effect, because in these high power runs it far exceeded the limits of
chemistry.

Cude's discussion is factually incorrect in every important detail. You
cannot make you your own facts in science.

> And by the way, it was not only geezers who were skeptical of aviation.
>> Wilbur Wright said in 1901, "If man ever flies, it will not be within our
>> lifetime, not within a thousand years."
>>

>> Meanwhile, Langley, a pioneer of aviation, started investigating
>> aerodynamics as his second career. He was near 70 (and a strong advocate)
>> when the Wrights first flew.

Wilbur said that while returning home discouraging flight tests at Kitty
Hawk. At that time the Wrights were already far ahead of all of their
rivals, including Langley. Langley was not a supporter of the Wrights when
they first flew. His machine had crashed twice that autumn, and he was in
deep trouble with the press, the public and Congress, and defensive. His
designs were lousy, and his "law" was nonsense. He should have made an
effort to learn from the Wrights and Octave Chanute.

I guess he deserves to have an air base named after him, mainly for putting
up with 19th century versions of naysayers such as Cude.

Chanute was also an older man, b. 1832.