On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 5:05 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to explore this dreadful history a little more, because I
> know a lot about it.

Certainly not because it has any relevance.

What you're saying is that two countries are at war, one claims they will
crush the other, and the other doesn't believe it, and therefore cold
fusion is real. But for me, I'd associate the US with cold fusion skeptics,
and Japan with the true believers. (In truth, I don't think the episode is
in the least instructive to this debate.)

Anyway, what about when Napolean said he would crush the 7th coalition at
Waterloo? The coalition didn't just accept that and roll over either, and
they of course were Napolean's waterloo.

Or how about Sonny Liston, the heavy favorite in 1964 against Clay (Ali)?
He said on the eve of the fight: "Cassius, you're my million dollar baby,
so please don't let anything happen to you before tomorrow night." Ali
didn't back down though, and the rest is history.

Of course Ali was far more vocal in his predictions, but in war and fights,
both sides usually expect to win, or there wouldn't be wars.

> Cude and others have often said: "If there was any chance cold fusion is
> real, of course smart people would support it. Everyone wants to see
> zero-cost energy." Then they say, "since smart people do not support this
> research, that proves there is nothing to it, and no chance it will result
> in new technology."

Obviously, no one could say that many smart people rejecting something
proves it's wrong. What it proves is that the evidence for it is not
conclusive or unequivocal, which is what true believers claim. Scientists
make their judgements based on the evidence, and the vast majority judge
the evidence to be weak, and given the overwhelmingly strong evidence
against it, they remain skeptical.

It's true that most scientists have not kept up with the details of cold
fusion research, or even of its broad strokes, but in 1989, nearly every
scientist on the planet looked pretty closely at cold fusion, and concluded
it was almost certainly bogus. Since then, the evidence has not gotten any
better, and so there is no reason to revisit that consensus. What most
scientists (at least nuclear physicists) learned when they considered the
possibility, was that if the claims of cold fusion advocates had merit,
unequivocal evidence would almost certainly be rather easy to produce. And
once produced would be submitted to and accepted by a prominent journal
like Science or Nature. That hasn't happened.

Also, a panel of experts enlisted by the DOE met in 2004 and examined the
best of the evidence up to that time, and 17 of 18 said that evidence for
LENR was not conclusive. And if do sample the informed opinion, by looking
at the results of peer-review in prominent journals or by granting agencies
(like the DOE panel), or by the fact that the APS recently rejected the
publication of the ICCF conference, then you find that the consensus
remains strong that cold fusion is almost certainly bogus.

The difference between 1989 and now is that then we had two believable
(even distinguished) guys who seemed to have stumbled on (or intuited their
way to) a revolutionary claim that would be hard to get wrong. Now, we've
got much more distinguished people who claimed negative results, who have
looked carefully at the positive results and found they don't stand up, and
most importantly, we've got dozens or even hundreds of people who have
spent a long time looking for results, and the evidence still doesn't stand
up. And experiments are not better (or at least the results are not
better), and the theories are no more plausible, except to True Believers.
Every new claim that is no better than the previous claims makes it look
more pathological, not less. Moreover, there's no one left working in the
field with the distinction of Fleischmann; all that's left is a bunch of
mostly senior, run-of-the-mill scientists.

So what happened in 1989 fits the pattern for some physics discoveries, and
that's why people took notice. What's happened since fits the pattern for
pathological science, and that's why it's now being ignored.

> Cude, Frank Close, the editors at Scientific American and others are not
> worried that they might be holding back a valuable technology. [...]

You wrote a lot of words to say simply that skeptics consider the
possibility of cold fusion being real exceedingly remote. The additional
verbiage replaced by an ellipsis (as well as the entire Japanese story) was
intended to put this attitude in a bad light, but then you say:

> They are as certain it is wrong as I am certain that creationism is wrong.

completely deflating your argument. Because none of it was specific to cold
fusion, but to the general idea of being too confident that something is
wrong. And here you are, certain that something is wrong.

The truth is that there *are* varying degrees of certainty about things. We
are certain of the conservation of energy, and that a dropped rock falls to
the ground, and we ignore proposals of perpetual motion or anti-gravity,
unless the evidence is as good as the existing evidence contradicting these
things.

The main problem with cold fusion is that people are not sufficiently
familiar with nuclear physics to know how justifiably confident nuclear
physicists are that cold fusion doesn't happen.

And so, when in that words of a prominent believer, cold fusion is his
reluctant mistress, or it depends on mother nature's mood, then that is not
good enough to question the overwhelming evidence from 60 years of
experiments that suggests it should not happen.

> "While every result and conclusion [cold fusion researchers] publish meets
> with overwhelming scientific evidence to the contrary, they resolutely
> pursue their illusion of fusing hydrogen in a mason jar. . . ."
>
> That is not hyperbole. They mean it.

Except for the word "delusion", that statement is a simple observation. The
overwhelming evidence to the contrary is the evidence from copious
experiments all elegantly consistent with a robust picture that is highly
inconsistent with cold fusion. It's not an absolute rejection, but it means
that evidence for cold fusion has to be better than a reluctant mistress to
be taken seriously.