On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kevin O'Malley <kevmol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> ***We can proceed with the same probability math I used upthread.  If one
>> considers it to be 1/3 chance of generating a false-positive excess heat
>> event, then you take that 1/3 to the power of how many replications are on
>> record.
>>

> That is a form of Bayesian analysis, I think.

No it's not. It's just ordinary probability theory, and it's not even
right. That calculation gives the probability of getting N *consecutive*
replications. The probability of rolling 6 on an ordinary die is 1/6, but
it's easy to get N sixes (on average) just by throwing the die 6N times.

It is the need for these sorts of arguments and Bayesian analysis that
emphasizes the absence of a single experiment that will give an expected
result.