The cavity in the polariton laser is imperfect. It allows photons to  get
out of the nano-cavities.

If the nano-cavities are near perfect, the photons stay inside and aid the
electrons to concentrate.

See:

http://www.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/sonstiges/meldungen/detail/artikel/eine-neue-1/

I am trying to figure out this one which seems to describe how photons and
electrons are strongly coupled. It is an experimental study which means
that it is real.

http://www.np.phy.cam.ac.uk/uploads/2013/prb13-mcavbistability.pdf