Jones,

You may not have followed the thread I started, 'Of NAEs and Nothingness'.

It was like pulling teeth, but I think Ed and I established some common
ground that when a 'dislocation' or void forms in the host material, and
*before* any H or D diffuses into this void, it is a (near perfect) vacuum.
There could be E or B fields present, but those are not 'matter', so the NAE
is essentially a 'vacuum chamber' at 0K, and likely better than anything
that our hi-tech vacuum pumps can produce.  Is this not the kind of
'chamber' which could support the formation of BECs???

Let's continue on with that line of reasoning.

When any atom enters the NAE, the only energy it has is what it brings with
it.  The E or B fields within would likely cause the atom to align itself
with those fields to reach a minimal energy orientation.  If the fields
serve to (physically?) restrict atomic motion or size or shape, then that
could initiate photon emission of some of the thermal energy which the atom
had when it entered the NAE. If enough thermal energy is shed, and this
happens to a number of such atoms in the NAE, they would spontaneously form
a BEC.

In the BEC experiments that I've read, they use laser and/or *magnetic*
evaporative cooling to reduce the temp of the atoms until, at some threshold
temp (in the  nanoKelvins), they coalesce into the BEC.  Condensation of
magnons has occurred at 14K (see excerpt below), which is orders of
magnitude higher than with the usual BEC setup (atomic gases).

Here is an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry on BECs:

"The Bose-Einstein condensation also applies to quasiparticles in solids. A
magnon in an antiferromagnet carries spin 1 and thus obeys Bose-Einstein
statistics. The density of magnons is controlled by an external magnetic
field, which plays the role of the magnon chemical potential. This technique
provides access to a wide range of boson densities from the limit of a
dilute Bose gas to that of a strongly interacting Bose liquid.   [EMPHASIS]
A magnetic ordering observed at the point of condensation is the analog of
superfluidity. In 1999 Bose condensation of magnons was demonstrated in the
antiferromagnet TlCuCl3.[18] The condensation was observed at *temperatures
as large as 14 K*. Such a high transition temperature (relative to that of
atomic gases) is due to the greater density achievable with magnons and the
smaller mass (roughly equal to the mass of an electron). In 2006,
condensation of magnons in ferromagnets was even shown at room
temperature,[19][20] where the authors used pumping techniques."

Still haven't found the bottom of the rabbit hole.

;-)

Relevant links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bose-Einstein_condensate> -Einstein_condensate