On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 8:41 PM, James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

They are necessary so you can perform experiments.  If you don't like an
> operational definition then you need to say why.

It seems like it is possible to make progress on a question like this
without requiring a formal definition.  Perhaps a similar question to
whether artificial intelligence is possible is whether computers can create
art.  A well-conceived experiment might involve a panel of judges who use
their experience and intuition, perhaps along with some guidelines, to
judge submissions of "art," who then try to decide whether the submissions
were from from a person or from a computer.  A formal definition might seek
to spell out exactly what art is so that we can tell with great assurance
whether a computer has produced it.  But art is something that is hard to
define, and many people produce very poor art.

I remember reading about a contest where they had a person who served as a
judge on one side of a terminal and either a computer or a person on the
other, and the judge had to decide whether he or she was interacting with a
computer.  This seems like a test and one that can sort out whether
artificial intelligence has been achieved to a certain extent (the computer
fools most of the judges over a period of trials), without weighing down
the challenge with the need to spell out what intelligence is.

Eric