To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Some comments by me at Mats Lewan blog
From: dlrober...@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 17:19:11 -0400

Jed, is it possible that you found the cost of laboratory pure nickel isotopes
instead of industrial grade?  I suspect it would be easier to do a modest
enrichment with some form of chemical and centrifuge separation process instead
of the more sophisticated techniques.  The difference in weight of the nickel
isotopes seems rather large at first glance.

Perhaps a business can be started to do this type of thing if it is important
enough.  First, you would need to find a liquid containing nickel that can be
put into a centrifuge for separation.  I know little of these techniques, but
there may be some guys monitoring vortex that are familiar with these types of
systems who might offer suggestions.

At the costs you quoted, I would bet there are alternatives that good engineers
or scientists can develop.  This seems like a good challenge.  DGT may have
already found such a technique or a company that offers the materials.

The density of the separated portion of the input liquid is an indication of
the amount of an isotope present.  That is the way you might be able to test
your separation efficiency.  Since you know how much of each isotope is in the
raw material, you know what per cent of the liquid to draw off initially at the
heavy end or light end.

We need to keep an open mind when we discuss what can or can not be done.  It
might cost a small fortune to obtain special isotopes, but who can be sure
unless they have the direct knowledge.

Just a guess seeking a solution,

Dave