On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 2:03 PM, H Veeder <[email protected]> wrote:

 The harm is not they don't meet expectations. The harm is that they
> provide no explanation whenever they fail to meet expectations.
> Playing with people's emotions is not harmless game.
>

Personally, I do not mind unguarded statements about what a company is
going to deliver. If it turns out not to happen, I chalk that up to
flamboyance, wishful thinking and trying to bring something about, almost
as if by conjuring it up by saying it.

My main objection is to anything that is relevant here is to the
possibility of misdirection.  I kind of want to say that misdirection is a
different beast than fraud.  Misdirection has overtones of manipulation,
and fraud has clear legal and ethical implications.  And I don't say that
Defkalion are guilty of misdirection.  I only say the possibility has
occurred to me on more than one occasion for one reason or another.  The
thought has occurred to me in connection with Rossi as well.  I'm reminded
of the Wild West in the U.S., when people did all kinds of funny things, or
of the wheelers and dealers in turn of the century New York City.  It's
just a feeling that you have to keep your eyes open and not let yourself be
hoodwinked.

Commercial entities in the LENR space have control over how much they
provoke this reaction in people.  In me, it has not yet caused me to wonder
whether they have a process that is basically working, only whether a
straight account of what they've learned has been given.  But for some
other people that we know, it can turn a person into a full-on critic or an
opponent.  This is the kind of thing that Feynman was probably reacting to
with Papp, who we all know was a colorful character.  It is a reaction that
is largely avoidable, and companies should consider taking steps to
mitigate it by assuming observers are intelligent and will identify any
gimmicks or shortcuts or weird details.

Eric

Reply via email to