On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maintenance is expensive. Because the fuel is cheap but the equipment is
> expensive, nuclear power plants have to be run 24 hours a day for "baseline"
> generation. Otherwise they are not cost effective.

They can be throttled back only so far.  Did you know that, for
wholesale customers, power is free between 2 and 4 am?

I have a proposal for beltline.org that the trains be run on hydrogen
cracked from water for free by MARTA, Ga Power's second largest
customer.  It would utilize the equivalent to a DMU (diesel multiple
unit) common in Europe or a HMU.