Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have been wanting to get to the patents before too long.  I know very
> little about patents at this point.  But I would not be surprised if the
> existing patents are all encumbered by details that will invalidate them.

I know little about patents. But people who do know about them agree with
you that most of the cold fusion patents will probably be invalidated.
Rossi's patents seem ridiculous to me.

> I am unaware of any intellectual property filed by Defkalion -- they
> appear to want to keep the details a trade secret instead.

I do not know of any patent filings by Defkalion. The strategy of keeping
the details a trade secret cannot work. This is the most important
discovery in the recorded history of technology. As soon as the public
realizes the effect is real, every industrial corporation, university and
national laboratory on earth will begin frantic efforts to reverse engineer
devices from Rossi and Defkalion. The secrets will not last a week.

> If that happens, manufacturers will have to compete on the basis of
> quality, price, brand name, etc., rather than rely upon an IP strategy.
>  This may be distressing for some who wanted to make billions.

There will be many new patents as the technology develops. The original
AT&T patent for the transistor expired decades ago, but many new patents in
semiconductor technology are filed every year. I expect new patents are
filed in combustion technology, even though people have been using fire for
a long time.