Chris Zell <chrisz...@wetmtv.com> wrote:

 It is always difficult for me to accept that the living world constantly
> needs our intervention, as if the whole of adaptive evolution never took
> place - including dramatic catastrophes.

Well, natural catastrophes wiped out entire species. We don't want that to
happen because of our technology.

Generally speaking, as long as the effect from technology is not too
destructive, and it resembles some natural effect, animals will adjust to
it. As I said, birds will avoid large wind turbine blades because they
resemble moving trees. They will not avoid reflective plate glass because
nothing like that exists in nature. Water is reflective, but not
horizontal, or high up in the sky.

>   Rupert Sheldrake once claimed that some small birds learned to attack
> products delivered by the milkman- clearly within historical times.

That is a widely reported event. A species in the UK called the blue tit
learned how to open milk bottles and drink the cream. This was before milk
was homogenized. The problem was, the birds would drink down too far, get
stuck, and drown. There were many reports of dead birds sticking out of
bottles. Then, suddenly, over a few months, that stopped happening. The
birds learned to drink only from the top, and leave the rest. Somehow they
communicated the technique to other blue tits all over England, because it
stopped happening everywhere.

Another extraordinary aspect of this was that the birds remembered how to
do this for 10 years when there were no milk bottles. Home delivery of milk
was curtailed during WWII until the 1950s. When bottles were again
delivered, the birds went back to drinking from them, without getting
drowned. Several generations of birds somehow passed down the knowledge
from their great-grandparents, even though they never saw a milk bottle.

Animals are a lot smarter than we realize.

On the other hand, other bird species never learned to open the bottles or
drink from them. It seems the blue tits particularly love the taste of milk.