Well, by "exceedingly costly" I wasn't referring to the scientific research
program.  I was referring to the development program.  You _really_ don't
want to do engineering in the absence of validated theory.  Development is
costly enough with a validated theory.  Indeed, *with* a validated theory
it is "exceedingly costly" compared to a scientific research program.
*Without* a validated theory it is virtually astronomical.

Now, having said that, the profits are virtually astronomical so maybe they
can pull an Edison (massive parallel trial and error) with the Chinese and
really get somewhere without a validated theory.  It just seems tragic.