James Bowery <jabow...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well, by "exceedingly costly" I wasn't referring to the scientific research
> program.  I was referring to the development program.  You _really_ don't
> want to do engineering in the absence of validated theory.

Why not? Most technology was developed without a theory. Most of the
machines and structures you see around you were developed in ancient times
when they had no idea what elements are, never mind atoms. I mean things
like knives, concrete, steel, wooden houses, water pipes . . . People can
use models, intuitive methods or Edisonian methods in place of a theory. It
is more art than science, but art will take you a long way.

>  Development is costly enough with a validated theory.

True, but cold fusion will pay back at rate somewhere around $1 billion per
day. So it will be worth the cost. More to the point, once it begins to
succeed by Edisonian methods, people will rush to find a comprehensive
theory. Will they find one? Probably. Why? During a long rainy spell,
someone said to Mark Twain, "do you think it will ever stop raining?" He
said, "it always has."