Randy, think about it like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEYcGPF00l0

The companies that are threatening to, any day now (really -- just another
year -- trust us -- don't introduce an X-Prize for cold fusion because it
is moot or really soon will be) start selling a commercial cold fusion
device are not doing so.  Obviously, since doing so would make an X-Prize
for cold fusion moot, Murphy's Law says that the only way to get them to
release a commercial device would be to start serious progress toward an
X-Prize for cold fusion.

It's sort of like the X-Prize for cold fusion is the buttered bread and the
cold fusion product release is the cat.  Separately nothing happens.  Strap
them together and -- breakthrough!