from what I've heard the real problem was that Galileo was abusing of the
heliocentric argument to push the philosophical argument that God had no
specific love for the human...
this was challenging Christian foundation, and as religion was the skeleton
of the social peace it could not be tolerated.

many scientific persecutions are in fact political problems, ideology
battle.