Imagine where CF would be if it had enjoyed the same level of investment
and R&D as the failed hot fusion projects, which have produced nothing
(well maybe about 1 triumphant second of COP > 1.0) for decades, and
continues to get a free pass based on an endless parade of false promises.
I much rather deal with disappointments in the CF field, knowing at least
that COP well greater than 1 is achievable, and would be consistent if the
patent office wasn't a political monstrosity and CF actually got some real
money invested into it to figure out the mechanism. All things considered
I'd say the CF field has been a great success these last 25 years.