The vacuum behaves differently based on the structure of the matter that it
encloses. The way the vacuum behaves in space free of matter is different
from the way the vacuum behaves inside the nucleus, which in turn is
different from the way the vacuum behaves inside a proton or the neutron.
This variety of behavior is a characteristic of the Higgs mechanism in the
production of matter.

This is a characteristic of the Higgs field where the type of particle
involved in the Higgs interaction determines how the Higgs field interacts
with the particle. Energy input into the vacuum seems to catalyze (make
real) various virtual particles based on the contextual location of that
interaction.

For example, a vortex of polaritons will catalyze mass from the Higgs field
in the dark matter context.