Jojo Iznart <jojoiznar...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Point is, he had a long string of failures before his successes.  But feel
> free to disagree with me.  I won't hold it against you.

What do you mean failure? Commercial failures? No, his inventions nearly
always made money. If you mean he went through several potential designs
for the lightbulb, and he tested many filament materials, then yes, he did.
This can be seen in his laboratory log books:

http://edison.rutgers.edu/

. . .  or in any history of his work. It took over a year to perfect the
light bulb. But he wasn't just working on the bulb. He also improved
generators, invented meters, methods of wiring, methods of attaching bulbs,
light switches, distribution networks, and many other patent-able features.
The key invention was the high resistance light bulb that could be wired in
parallel. Series incandescent bulb were invented 20 years before that, by
Farmer and other people.