It would appear that you are not qualified to say that "calorimetry using
water is a non-starter".  First, in DI water there is no electrolyte added
(just the opposite) and there will be no current flowing through this water
being used to capture the heat and thermalize the UV.  The DI water has no
current, hence not hydrolysis.  Second, Mills' experiment begins with
water.  Within the high current flow, the water in the porous metal
container (particle) is thermally and electrically decomposed into various
hydrogen, oxygen, and hydroxide species both neutral and ionized, though
the voltage is specifically held low to help prevent impact ionization of
the hydrogen (the hydrino state requires the electron).  I proposed
isolating the test pellet in a wax container so that the DI water does not
contaminate the water in the test pellet, though that may not be necessary.

If Mills is correct, the whole reaction is chemical.  If you have a better
idea for calorimetry, describe it.