It's findings like this that have lead some people to the same conclusion:
Multiple reaction pathways are taking place in one system (a cocktail of
sorts). As a result, we see perpetual conflation of the "F&P Heat Effect"
(aka radiationless cold fusion) w/ whatever unusual hot fusion effect is
being produced (i.e. like Axil linking LeClair's work to cold fusion, which
is totally off-base, unless one is ready, at this early juncture, to adopt
wholesale his hyper-speculative "whispering quantum hall magic gamma
shield" hypothesis), perhaps by small-scale fracto-fusion, Casimir
forces, & cavitation, when conditions are right, and so on. That's just
spit-balling though, because as we know the neutron-to-tritium ratio is not
reflective of known hot fusion reactions in the slightest, so whatever is
producing the tritium has got to be a strange reaction pathway as well,
because its certainly not commensurate with the excess heat either. This is
one of those "mysteries" that I have seen no theory adequately answer as of
yet. Storms made a good go of it in his recent book (at the very least he
recognizes and advertises this enigma) but we'll have to await reliable ash
data from NiH before any reliable conclusions can be drawn.