In Ni/H fusion reactions, it is likely that many protons form proton rich
isotopes directly in a single cluster fusion process without interim
buildup from interim lower Z fusions via multiple lower Z element fusion
steps. Proton-rich isotopes will then decay via positron emission, in which
a proton in the nucleus decays to a neutron, a positron and a neutrino. The
daughter isotope has an atomic number one less than the parent.
The associated 1 MeV positron based gamma would not be seen due to
superaborber processes that downshift gamma to x-rays.

In early E Cat experiments, positron  gammas were seen as witnessed in
Rossi's Patent application as follows

[0035] The positron forms the electron antiparticle, and hence, as
positrons impact against the nickel electrons, the electron-positron pairs
are annihilated, thereby generating a huge amount of energy.