Good point Jack.  One item of interest is that my simulation shows that one can
refer to two different COPs when the core generates heating power that are not
so evident with an inactive core.  The first is an incremental COP that is
calculated by taking the derivative of the output power at a particular input
power level.  This is the what had the scientists concerned when they
calculated the relatively large output power delta of 700 watts with an input
delta of 100 watts.

 The large slope is caused by the non linear nature of both the power
generation mechanism as well as the forth order non linear relationship between
output radiated power and surface temperature.  I consider this effect as
demonstrating how the effective thermal resistance of the device is multiplied
by the positive feedback that is associated with its operation.  The
temperature rises or falls much faster than expected by an inactive device when
subjected to an incremental input power adjustment.

The simulation shows that the maximum slope occurs at the temperature where the
internally generated power comes closest to being equal to the power escaping.
The device must be designed so that the generated power (as indicated by
temperature being a time dependent parameter) never quite reaches the level of
the power that is radiated, convected, and conducted away from the core at any
time.  This should be viewed as a requirement for stable operation under steady
input power conditions.  Operation outside of this region will result in a
latching of output power even when input is removed.  Special requirements and
restriction to the input waveform can enable one to operate a stable system
under careful constraints such as in SSM mode with PWM drive.

The second type of COP measurement is our more common way of expressing device
performance.  This is calculated by taking the total power output and dividing
by the total power input.  I am assuming steady state conditions with constant
input drive power.  The number determined by this operation will always be
smaller than that of the incremental form of COP mentioned earlier.  This is
due to the very non linear nature of the relationship between output power and
input power when the core power generation is of a significant quantity.

This demonstrated behavior solidifies in my opinion the proof that the core is
generating a major amount of power during the test.

Dave