I'm with hermetic here, while the code is comparitavely well
documented, there's little on content generation at all.

However, on the flip side, this is an open source project, and you've
just found a way to contribute.

 -sconzey

On 1/15/07, swe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi VOS-developer,
>
> I downloaded the new terangreal, new box world looks nice: good idea to
> have the move explaination in first sight!
> Funny little pyramid and penguin online then ;)
>
> Ok, but thats still all one can find easy if one wants to attend own stuff
> to vos from a non-hardcore-coder perspecive.
>
> I checked a lot of (not of very useful for this intend) theoretical docs
> on the vos website, till I found eventually that the world definitions
> are in the .xod files.
>
> So this info lead me to the first box world is stored in
> 3dworld-blocks.xod in main folder and the detailed stuff is in
> /worlds/blocks.cod.gz
>
> (hell why is not a simple README.txt or HOW_TO_EDIT_WORLD.txt in the
> main folder explaining such?)
>
> The blocks.cod is compressed (wow! saves 50 bytes?)
> and in cod-format (why not using a more human readable and editable .xod
> too?)
> What do I need to convert .cod back to .xod?
> Where do I find infos about that?
> Or better, can I write my worlds in (ok static?)vrml and convert to .xod
> by a tool?
> Where do I get them?
>
> All that infos could help new users to get more involved in vos I think.
> Why not include such examples in the download?
>
> Further more, if you look at the free blaxxun community: one central
> feature is a 'world'-list where user can promote own worlds:
> Why not add an interface or upload button so user can create
> own worlds or add static objects (given in common formats like
> .obj/.3ds/vrml?) to the first VOS world?
>
> Its nice that one can use blender to convert models, but thats another
> barrier to download, keeping people from attending.
>
> Also I think the first VOS worlds should show what possibilities
> (->shadows? water? layers? mediaformats? sounds?-> I remember you added
> the emma3d features to vos?) VOS can use.
> If you want more users and especial content designers, the first steps
> should show why VOS is good for them.
>
> Or think it from a different perspecitve, why SL makes user want to be
> part of it?
> Show them that SL is 'dead-end-tech' (a word SL-hype has for other
> communities ;)!
>
> Anyway, I would like to bring some models into vos. Like a pirate
> ship? Maybe a little island? One there outside can help me to get a water
> surface working and convert/upload stuff on main server?
>
> The knowledge that vos is the better system is not enought.
>
> so far my ideas about
>
>         hermetic
>
> ( online island editor example:
> http://www.cyworx.com/worlds/piratez9/index.wrl )
>

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, Peter Amstutz wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 09:15:37PM -0500, Reed Hedges wrote:
> >
> >> Cory Linden (I forget his real name) did a Q&A about open-sourcing the
> >> client, and someone asked him if they think that also open-sourcing the
> >> server would hurt SL from a business perspective, and he said "No".  But
> [...]

QOTD:
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent"
                -- Isaac Asimov

GPG Public Key: http://www.jargonjunkie.com/rants/scones.asc
Website: http://www.jargonjunkie.com/