On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 02:34:06PM +0100, swe wrote:

> Hi VOS-developer,
>
> I downloaded the new terangreal, new box world looks nice: good idea to
> have the move explaination in first sight!
> Funny little pyramid and penguin online then ;)

Thanks!  Hopefully we can eventually have a whole tutorial within the
vos world.

> Ok, but thats still all one can find easy if one wants to attend own stuff
> to vos from a non-hardcore-coder perspecive.

Well, you're right.  It isn't suitable for non-technical users at this
point.  However, I think we've learned a lot about the importance of
user interface since then and hope to do better in the future.
Actually, one of the major challenges is the fact that we're trying to
develop for several platforms, so just in terms of tools we have to do
everything three times to make it fit well with each operating system.

> The blocks.cod is compressed (wow! saves 50 bytes?)
> and in cod-format (why not using a more human readable and editable .xod
> too?)

"COD" stands for Compact Object Description and came before "XOD" (XML
Object Description).  The blender exporter we wrote produces COD files
because I hadn't created the XOD format at that time, and haven't had a
chance to go back and rewrite the exporter to support another export
format.  Also the world files store textures and mesh data in binary
formats, but the XML-based XOD format can't store binary data at this
time.

> What do I need to convert .cod back to .xod?
> Where do I find infos about that?
> Or better, can I write my worlds in (ok static?)vrml and convert to .xod
> by a tool?

Reed has been working on a tool to convert from VRML to A3DL (XOD) but
I'm not sure how sophisticated it is yet.

> Where do I get them?
>
> All that infos could help new users to get more involved in vos I think.
> Why not include such examples in the download?

This (and everything else) is a time issue, basically.  VOS was
developed when Reed and I were attending University together, and since
then we've graduated and had much less time to work on it due to having
a full-time job, girlfriends/wives, etc.

That said, suppose now is a good a time as any to announce to the list
that I'm in the process of drawing up a business plan for being able to
work on VOS full time.  I'm in discussion with the Free Software
Foundation and others about possible sources of funding.  This is a
long-term thing (the earliest I would be able to start doing this full
time would be July) but it'll mean a lot for the project, since I'll be
able to focus on it completely, support users, and generally get
everything done I've been meaning to do for a long time.  I've come to
the conclusion that what we're trying to do is simply too big of a
problem to be solved by a few open source hobbists in any reasonable
amount of time (or more to the point, the world will have moved on to
something else before we have something usable).  So by turning VOS
development into a business effort (while still based on free software
principals) I think I stand a good chance of being in a position to
really make a difference.

> Further more, if you look at the free blaxxun community: one central
> feature is a 'world'-list where user can promote own worlds:
> Why not add an interface or upload button so user can create
> own worlds or add static objects (given in common formats like
> .obj/.3ds/vrml?) to the first VOS world?

We were working towards this.  Also an earlier version of VOS had
exactly the kind of master server world list you're describing, but like
a lot of things we haven't gotten a chance to integrate it into the
current version.

> Its nice that one can use blender to convert models, but thats another
> barrier to download, keeping people from attending.
>
> Also I think the first VOS worlds should show what possibilities
> (->shadows? water? layers? mediaformats? sounds?-> I remember you added
> the emma3d features to vos?) VOS can use.
> If you want more users and especial content designers, the first steps
> should show why VOS is good for them.

I'm not sure where you got the idea we had anything to do with Emma3d --
I think I might have floated the idea of VOS and Emma3d working together
on the Emma3d forums, but nothing ever came of it.

> Or think it from a different perspecitve, why SL makes user want to be
> part of it?
> Show them that SL is 'dead-end-tech' (a word SL-hype has for other
> communities ;)!
>
> Anyway, I would like to bring some models into vos. Like a pirate
> ship? Maybe a little island? One there outside can help me to get a water
> surface working and convert/upload stuff on main server?
>
> The knowledge that vos is the better system is not enought.

I feel that VOS *will* be the better system because it's based on better
ideas, but to be realistic it's not there yet.  It's not, at the moment,
good for much beyond a proof-of-concept demo to show that our ideas will
actually work.  Once I find support to be able to devote more time to
developing VOS, the next-generation (codename "s5" and already under
development) will address everything you've brought up here, and a lot
more.

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]