Oh believe me, we have plenty of experience running servers out of an
apartment over both cable and DSL [1], and it's not worth the effort.
Running a server over a cable modem is slow (poor upload speed),
unreliable, has dynamic IP addresses, stupid rules about running servers
(you're not supposed to), tend to be blacklisted by other mail hosts
(because most mail coming from residential IP blocks is zombie boxes
sending spam) and if the power goes out most likely your server goes
down.

[1] Fiber still isn't available in most areas, and a straight T1 line
runs something like $250/month.

So in my experience it's worth the cost to take that server and put it
on a rack in a data center with fast connection to the backbone, a
static IP, redundant power and network hookups and a policy that says
you can do whatever you want (except send spam :-)

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]