The challenge with reading file formats vs writing plugins to particular
applications is that you need to be able to parse and make sense of the
file format.  In some cases this is quite difficult, because the file
format often has to be reverse engineered and may be tied to specific
implementation details of the application.  3D Studio Max files are
particularly infamous for this, going so far as to actually include the
names of the plugin DLLs that were used to in creating the model, which
is why you don't see any other software that can read .max files.

The trend, hopefully, is towards interoperable file formats (like X3D
and Collada are picking up some steam) so that modeling programs can
export to common, well documented formats that applications like VOS can
read in.  Vendor lock-in through file formats is especially severe in
the world of 3D data, where unlike text documents you don't have the
last-ditch option of exporting to plain text, or printing it out and
scanning it back in...

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]