> However, they got too caught up in VRML itself.  First
> they build a nice standards 1.0 that let you set up a scene graph.  Then
> they add animation, events, prototypes, for nodes and an external api for
> interacting with the scene.  All very good, but they also added internal
> scripting languages, which is where they started to go off the deep end. As
> far I understand it now, they have cut off support for the external api, and
> expect you to fully program all your nodes in javascript.  Say what?

Assuming you are speaking about the step from VRML to X3D here:
They have not cut off support for the external API. The thing about X3D
is, that they've combined what was the EAI (external authoring
interface) and the Browser Script Interface in VRML into the SAI (scene
access interface) in X3D:
        "[The] scene access interface (SAI) [..] can be used to interact
        with X3D worlds both from within the worlds or from external
        programs."

Your nodes can be coded in any language supported by the browser with
the bindings for Java and ECMAScript being explicitly defined and
supported by most browsers.

I know of a browser which makes the SAI available through a web
interface and thus offers a quite generic way to communicate with the
scene.

Regards Ben