On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 09:26:09PM -0400, Reed Hedges wrote:

> * Change mouse cursor to reflect what clicking will do (i.e.
> differentiate between mouselook/move modes; change when over a hypercard
> or clickable)

Yea, that would be useful.

> * If you click some mouse button on an object it becomes selected
>     * In the future, could show a panel to edit properties of selected
> object, or create new objects attached to it in scenegraph fashion, or
> whatever

How do you differentiate between "I'm clicking on this to activate it"
and "I'm clicking on this to edit its properties"?

> * If a selected object has the "ui:actions" type that I added recently,
> then display those in a side panel as buttons

I'll have to take a look at it -- sounds like a generalization of
misc:clickable perhaps?  So instead of "I can accept click messages" you
say "I can accept messages X, Y and Z" and specify that "X" is the
default message for clicking.

> * Some way to show/hide sets of objects in the world, or change their
> properties together as a group (e.g. alhpa to make them fade in and
> out).  These groups could be called layers or groups.  This would be one
> way to get certain effects in your presentation actually.  Also useful
> in data visualizations, architectural type visualizations, etc.  Am
> thinking of a demo world that shows some kind of factory or plant with
> different systems on different layers, or an archeological site with
> structures from different time periods.

This sounds kind of complicated, although I agree it could be useful.
Actually, my plans for a redesign of A3DL (for s5) will specifically
include a concept of layers, so unless you want to code layers as a
server-side behavior (where you can select which layers to show, and the
hidden ones are removed from the sector) it might be better to wait on
that.

Let me also point out that you probably shouldn't kill yourself with
crazy new ter'angreal features; the only reason I'm working on it is to
have something shiny and polished enough to demo as a stepping stone to
solicit funding for s5 development.  There are systemic flaws in the CS
plugin (due to multithreaded race conditions that are very hard to
debug, which is what prompted the whole concurrency discussion and
overhaul for s5) that make it unsuitable for anything other than a demo.

> >  - Added an "<addtype>" directive under the <load> section in XOD files,
> > so objects from loaded files can be extended.
>
> Ah, useful.

It was your idea.  We talked about this, remember?

> >  - If you can hit "g" while moused over a 3d object, you "grab" it,
>
> In general how should we start adding editing tools? Should we have an
> edit mode that turns on these keystrokes? Should you have to select an
> object (or objects) before you can edit them?  (Or, in edit mode, should
> mousing over be considered a "selection" for editing purposes, with an
> outline drawn around the object to indicate this.)

The "grab" feature is kind of a hack at the moment.  It was intended as
a quick-and-dirty way of showing that you could interact with anything
in your environment, not a real authoring tool.

> I think the Blender approach is a good one btw, where most commands are
> single keystrokes you can hit with your left hand while you mouse with
> your right (or vice versa).   But we should also have contextual menus
> (even pie menus?) too (especially for a CAVE or something).

Do you mean commands for original authoring, or commands to be used in
an interactive session to communicate with other users?  The former
(authoring) I don't think we should focus on too much, our time is
better spent working on supporting popular modeling programs and 3D file
formats than it is on allowing modeling/authoring within ter'angreal
itself.  Commands to modify the environment which may be useful in a
multiuser scenario to assist in communication are a different story, and
that's worth thinking about.

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]