On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 02:48:41PM -0400, Reed Hedges wrote:

> > How do you differentiate between "I'm clicking on this to activate it"
> > and "I'm clicking on this to edit its properties"?
>
> What do you mean by "activate"? You mean if the objcet has the "clickable"
> type? Different mouse clicks probably.  Or have modes.

Uh, yea.  That if the object has behaviors that respond to clicks, then
click-to-select-to-edit needs to be different from
click-to-activate-behavior.  It could be right mouse button vs right
mouse button, a context menu, or an explicit editing mode.  Not a big
deal, just a UI issue to keep in mind.  (I mainly thought of it because
I've been using my MacBook a bit with Linux and Windows and suffering
with having only one button...)

> Yes but there's no default currently.  A ui:action is like a macro for
> sending a message to an object that describes the message in a user
> friendly way.  It's implemented in mesh, it prints a list of actions for
> the current object, and if there's ann action called "foo" you just say
> "do foo" and it sends whatever message is behind foo to the object.

Ah, I see.  I think this is something we'll want to expand upon, for
things like keybindings.  However, this is also where you start to want
client-side scripting, to get message parameters from the user, doing
simple data massaging, client-side chrome like rollovers, etc...

> I don't think it would be too hard.  It's just something I thought of
> that would be unique and interestincg to show off to people. I was
> actually thinking of making the layers be metaobjects so others would
> share your layer selection, useful for collaborative work.
>
> Do you think that most of the Terangreal GUI (wx) will be easily transferred
> to s5, even if the A3DL CS plugin guts are torn out and redone?

I'm not sure.  There are certainly a lot of bits and pieces we will want
to keep that may be worth working on, but the code as a whole will
probably have to be rewritten since one of the goals of s5 is to improve
the way wxwidgets (and crystal space) talk to the rest of the system.

> (Will you post a comprehensive description of A3DL changes in s5 later,
> like you have been doing for VOS in s5?)

Yea, I plan to do so.  I need to finish up my four-part series on s5
first, though ;-)

Something that will be important in designing the new A3DL is how 2D, 3D
and GUI component APIs will interact, and trying to unify them.

Related to that, my hope is that by having the code autogenerated from
interface files, virtually all of the boilerplate presently involved in
coding metaobjects will go away, so creating or modifying metaobject
APIs will be easy.  This should make experimenting with new features a
lot easier.

> When we do demos we actually should have two laptops so people can see
> what in the scene is shared (and what's not).

I agree, although that requires a degree of coordination to pull off in
a presentation situation (like having to set up an ad-hoc network) that
could be hard.

--
[   Peter Amstutz  ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]