On 17/02/2004, at 10:45 AM, Chris Burton wrote:

Hi all

So this is what I have to look  forward to next week!! Arrrrrhhhh!!

Is the 'motorola surfboard modem' a good ethernet modem that they supply?

I don't think there is any choice but it seems OK to me.

I have downloaded 'launch'...Should I have this installed on my g4 before the techies arrive and tell them about it?

What I did was I had Launch! running and then they told me to go to system prefs networking and change to DHCP as per the Launch instructions. Then theoretically all you do is click "Connect" but the fact that the network was down did not help. They got me to launch a browser and gave me the IP address of the modem to check it. I presume I could have pinged it using netstat to check it.

They then spent a long time on the phone trying to get through to their Telstra bods but it was Friday PM, the network was down, they were dog tired from working 12 hour days 7 days a week and they then mercifully left.

Another warning - they climbed straight out of my roof and wanted to sit down at my beaoootiful mac with filthy hands and then when I showed the guy the bathroom he didn't seem to need the soap - mind you he was a pom!! I then sat at the mac and didn't budge.

Should I warn them that I have a mac!!!

Just ignore their histrionics and try and give them the impression you know what you are doing even if you don't fully.

Dudley Gager

PO Box 1109, NEDLANDS WA 6909, Australia
Phone  +61 8 9386 2554
Fax       +61 8 9386 5068