On 16/2/04 11:26 PM, "Shay Telfer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Sounds like a permissions problem, if you have to use sudo to shutdown. I'd
 download Yasu from versiontracker and give it a whirl.

 Ummm... On a multiuser Unix machine, having anyone able to shut the
 machine down is a *bad thing*, hence why it requires sudo.

 Have fun,
 Shay

So how come a non-admin user can turn off their Mac from the Apple Menu in
OS X?

Anyone with physical access to the machine (and in some cases a large enough axe) can turn it off. Especially coming from a Mac based world where the user expects to be able to shut their machine down without authenticating. Apple does make some concessions to making the GUI experience user friendly for the user, rather than giving them the traditional Unix 'experience' ;)

If you really want to, I believe you can password protect the Apple Menu's shutdown/restart commands as well.

From the commandline however, you need the appropriate privileges.

Have fun,
Shay
--
 Perth, Western Australia   Technomancer        Join WA's annual