Hi Everyone,

On Thursday, May 20, 2004, at 05:05  AM, WAMUG Mailing List wrote:

It's here if you want to see it in action (promise nothing bad happens)

http://www.mactherapy.com/AppleScript.html

There is another page linked from the article which does something similar.

Apple better fix this one quick!
Rob
Mactherapy

I followed the links in the slashdot article to MoreInternet

http://www.monkeyfood.com/software/moreInternet/

and then changed the help: protocol helper to Safari. When I try Rob's link above, it just annoyingly opens another browser window, but doesn't do anything malicious. That should do in the short term until the security fix comes out.

The forum on slashdot is very interesting. This isn't the only protocol related exploit. There are others, which have been closed in fairly short order, so I guess this one will be too.

Rob's advice on the link above is to "Backup nightly". I agree with that. Backup important files onto other media, and store offsite if at all possible. Or ask yourself this question: how much information are you prepared to type in again if everything disappeared? I backup nightly, and store offsite. Of course it only took a crashed drive on my server for me to start doing nightly backups, but that's another story.

Regards,
Paul.
--
Paul W. Mulroney Logical Developments
[EMAIL PROTECTED]         86 Coolgardie Street