Hi again Graeme,

I've just found time to re-read your email, you said:
>> Those photos now in Photos appear also to be sorted by the date the photo
>> was taken.

That is correct, "Sort by Date" is the default setting in iPhoto, but you can
change how Photos are "sorted".
Open iPhoto, click on "Photos" (under "Library"),
Then go to "View" (in Menu Bar) > Sort Photos - & select which you prefer ...
By Date, By Keyword, By Title, or Manually.

Once you are sure you have all your photos imported & showing in Library -
"Photos", you can organise your photos into"Albums" (similar to the folders you
had on your PC)..
To Create an Album:
1. Click the Add button (+) at the bottom of the source pane (Library window),
or Choose "New Album" from under "File >New Album
2. Choose Album from the item icon list, enter a name, and click "Create" to
add it to the source pane.
OR
You can drag a entire Event, into the Source Pane, onto the Albums List Title,
and an Album will be created showing all the photos from the "Event".
(When you drag photos into the source pane to create a new album containing
them, you will notice how the entire source pane gets a thick blue border.)
You can change the name of the Album to whatever you wish to identify it by.

We have probably given you enough information to absorb for the moment,
otherwise you will be completely confused ;-)
If you require help with a certain aspect in iPhoto, start a New Post to WAMUG
with a particular subject ...e.g  'iPhoto '09 - Photos to DVD', so people can
follow the Thread.

Have a look at <http://www.apple.com/ilife/iphoto/>
<http://iphoto.maccreate.com/2009/12/17/moving-events-in-iphoto/>