Thank you Glenn for you helpful comments
Now retired and active with family history am not sure that I have a need for a
domain name
I attempted to obtain a gmail address today and met unexpected difficulties
I attempted to use an address similar to that currently being used but received
an error message that I should only use letters between a-z, numbers between
1-9 and periods.
I was not told the address selected was not available just to use letters and
numbers as above.

That I have done several times using variations including numbers with
g.winters but the error message has remained the same
Have scanned a range of common problems on gmail's site but cannot identify
this one
Any thoughts?

Graeme