Hi Peter,

I recently purchased a .org.au domain from Netregistry
<http://www.netregistry.com.au/>
It all went very well and everything seems to work as it should.

They had a special at the time - so it cost me all of $8.25 for two years
registration - though come renewal time it will be back to their normal rate
(currently $13.75 for 2 years).

I notice that, at present, they still seem to have their specials on - it
presents itself as a special, Web only 40% discount for the next 2 hours -
with a timer counting down the 2 hours.

Note that the $8.25 was only for .org.au domains - other .au domains are
more expensive but the 40% of applies across them all.

Also, I seem to remember when I purchased this that I was looking at various
other options and the 2 hour special expired - however I had no real problem
making a fresh start and triggering a new "2 hour window" - I can't remember
whether I just used another browser (Safari instead of Firefox) or whether I
stayed in Firefox and just cleared the cache and any Netregistry cookies.

Also note that there is no requirement to stay with the same registrar - if
down the track you find a registrar who you prefer for whatever reason
(price etc) you can transfer your domain registration from one registrar to
another (just don't let it expire!) - however I believe some registrars make
this easier than others - that is one thing that impressed me about
Netregistry - they seem to give you all the tools to do all this up front
(with some set-ups you might have to "request" to make the transfer) which
lead me to suspect/hope that they rely on you staying with them because of
their service - time will tell.

Note also that there are various restrictions on .au categories such as
.org.au and .com.au (whereas these restrictions are not applied to general
.com or .org domain names).

If you are going for a non-Australian (eg .com) domain rather than a .au
domain then you have a much larger choice of registrars and prices - but I
have no particular recommendations - the Whirlpool forums might be a good
place to start, eg:

<http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=160491>

WARNING - 15 pages of personal opinions;)

HTH

Cheers

Neil
--