Hi Tim,

I agree with Daniel, try running Word in a New User Account.

I think I would:
1.  UN-install M$ office using their Uninstall tool
2. Then empty the trash
3. Restart her Mac ... whatever it is ;-)
4. Install Rosetta
5. Install office
6. Update Office
7. Restart her Mac

The uninstall clears out a lot of files that could get corrupted.
The restart helps clear any other cache data.