Albany, Western Australia
Tel: +61 8 9841 6063
Email: n...@possumology.com

on 20/5/10 11:23 AM, Ronda Brown at ro...@mac.com wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> Quick reply your comment
>>> if deleting the old UID 501 user account has not deleted ALL files with
>>> owner 501 then the new account may be allocated a new UID (503) - I think
>>> this sort of situation is where you can see the ³unknown² user when looking
>>> at permissions in finder.
>
> This will happen if you have removed an account or group from the system, and
> still have files on the system that were previously associated with that
> account.

Yes, that¹s what I thought ­ in the event that there would be no UID501
account but still files associated with UID 501 that had not been cleared
out.

> This happens because the GID, UID, (user and group identifiers),or UUID
> (universally unique identifiers) number associated with the file cannot be
> matched to the proper account or group in the system. If the user or group is
> missing, the system will associate the file to ³nobody² or ³unknown,² but
> sometimes it may think the file belongs to another system account altogether,
> and associate it with that one.
>
> I'm working on a post about Owners / Groups / Permissions will port when I can
> put it together.

Looking forward to it!

> Permissions are so interesting Š and confusing at the same time ;-)

Yes, I love the power and features of Snow Leopard, but sometimes miss the
simplicity of Classic! Can¹t have it both ways, I guess!

> Cheers,
> Ronni
>
> On 20/05/2010, at 10:39 AM, Neil Houghton wrote:
>
>> Hi Ronni,
>>
>> HeHe... Yes, I¹ve always been wary of the ³expert² tag ­ I used to work in an
>> industry with lots of ³experts² and the standing joke was something about a
>> ³spurt² being a drip under pressure and ³ex² meaning has-been ;o)
>>
>> However, all on the list appreciate your experience and the time you put into
>> your (very comprehensive) answers to various problems.
>>
>> Yes, of course, either approach will require Adam to  have a complete backup
>> of his old drive ­ and we agree that approach A is preferable, if more
>> time-consuming.
>>
>> It would be interesting to know just how approach B gets around the change of
>> UID ­ I always thought that ³repair permissions² would just change the actual
>> read/write/execute permissions ­ I didn¹t think it would change the UID.
>>
>> It occurs to me that a ³B2² approach, that would cover this, would be to
>> create a temporary account to free up UID 501, eg:
>>

>>  B2.  Steps 1 to 4 are additional steps to free-up UID 501, steps 5 to 10 are
>> basically as your original approach B:
>>> 1. Create a NEW temporary Administrator Account (should have UID 502)
>>> 2. 'Log out' of the OLD Administrator (wrong) Account (UID 501)
>>> 3. 'Log In' to the TEMP Account (UID 502)
>>> 4. DELETE the OLD Account (UID 501)
>>> 5. Create a NEW Administrator Account with exact details of the User Account
>>> that you have on the backup drive (should be allocated UID 501, which is now
>>> free)
>>> 6. 'Log out' of the TEMP Account. (UID 502)
>>> 7. 'Log In' to the NEW Administrator Account (UID 501)
>>> 8. DELETE the TEMP Account (UID 502)