Hi Ronni,

HeHe... Yes, I¹ve always been wary of the ³expert² tag ­ I used to work in
an industry with lots of ³experts² and the standing joke was something about
a ³spurt² being a drip under pressure and ³ex² meaning has-been ;o)

However, all on the list appreciate your experience and the time you put
into your (very comprehensive) answers to various problems.

Yes, of course, either approach will require Adam to  have a complete backup
of his old drive ­ and we agree that approach A is preferable, if more
time-consuming.

It would be interesting to know just how approach B gets around the change
of UID ­ I always thought that ³repair permissions² would just change the
actual read/write/execute permissions ­ I didn¹t think it would change the
UID.

It occurs to me that a ³B2² approach, that would cover this, would be to
create a temporary account to free up UID 501, eg:

 B2.  Steps 1 to 4 are additional steps to free-up UID 501, steps 5 to 10
are basically as your original approach B:
> 1. Create a NEW temporary Administrator Account (should have UID 502)
> 2. 'Log out' of the OLD Administrator (wrong) Account (UID 501)
> 3. 'Log In' to the TEMP Account (UID 502)
> 4. DELETE the OLD Account (UID 501)
> 5. Create a NEW Administrator Account with exact details of the User Account
> that you have on the backup drive (should be allocated UID 501, which is now
> free)
> 6. 'Log out' of the TEMP Account. (UID 502)
> 7. 'Log In' to the NEW Administrator Account (UID 501)
> 8. DELETE the TEMP Account (UID 502)
> 9. Transfer your Data across from the Backup Drive.

This should achieve the same as approach B but allow the new account to have
UID 501

One problem might be at step 5 ­ if deleting the old UID 501 user account
has not deleted ALL files with owner 501 then the new account may be
allocated a new UID (503) - I think this sort of situation is where you can
see the ³unknown² user when looking at permissions in finder.

Just my thoughts ­ as I say, I still find many aspects of permissions
confusing ­ I am basing the above on bits and pieces of my (failing) memory
from sorting out past problems I had.

Cheers

Neil
--