Hi Adam,

On 18/05/2010, at 8:35 PM, Adam Lippiatt wrote:

> Ronni
>
> Thanks for this.  I did have a backup of the drive but unfortunately after
> having the machine for more than a month I think the technician got
> exasperated and just wanted to see the back of it.  So, I got a new hard
> drive which was, unfortuantely, a little noisier than the original and also
> the install was done on a new user account which did not have the same name
> as the old one.

> So, perhaps this is the source of the permissions problems.

Definitely, for sure … You don't 'own' (have Permissions) of the files, another
User does! As I explained in my previous email.

A couple of things need clarifying Adam.
1. You say you DID have a backup of the old Hard Drive (User Accounts /
Settings / Data) … do you still have that backup?

2. Did the Technician do the New Install and create a New (different) User on
the new Hard Drive?
If so, he would have / or should have told you that you needed to create a new
Administrator Account with EXACTLY the 'same User Name & Short Name  &
Password' that your Original Drive (& backup) have.
Then 'Log Out' of the 'Wrong  Account' , 'Log In' to the New Account (you have
created exactly as is on the backup drive) & under System Preferences DELETE
the 'Wrong User Account'.
ThenTransfer everything across from the firewire 'Backup' Drive.

What to recommend you do now to sort the mess out???
A or B?

A.  Do a complete Erase of your Hard Drive and Clean Install of Snow Leopard.
     1. Startup from the SL install disk, erase the hard drive with disk
utility (on the Disc) .
      2. Quit disk utility,  and proceed with the install.
      3. On the first reboot it will offer to migrate your data from a Time
machine backup or an External Drive. Choose your External Drive and  migrate
from the backup you have.
     (i.e When your computer restarts with the clean install, DON'T create a
User Account, let Migration Assistant transfer your User Account / Settings /
Files from the External Backup Drive … )

 B.  Do 2 that I mentioned above:
      1. Create a NEW Administrator Account with exact details of the User
Account that you have on the backup drive
      2. 'Log out' of the OLD Administrator (wrong) Account.
      3. 'Log In' to the NEW Administrator Account
      4. DELETE the OLD Account
      5. Transfer your Data across from the Backup Drive.