Thanks all for the suggestions. A litte more detail...

Backups of my Macbook Pro (running 10.6.4) have begun failing part way through
the back up process. I have a little Time Capsule backup widget which I have on
Dashboard (can't recall name of the widget, but it gives a little extra
narrative on what's happening during the back up process). A few days ago, when
I noticed the back up process not completing, the widget gave the error as
something to do with Spotlight. I no longer have the exact error message, but
looking the error message up on the web led me to this page ...

http://discussions.info.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=7059555

... which seemed to be about the problem I was having.

The back up error message seemed to tie in with the fact that not long before
that there was a Spotlight indexing process underway at a time I had to
shutdown my machine, so interrupting the indexing process may not have been
helpful. The suggestion of deleting the spotlight directory seems to make
sense, and a better option than erasing the Time Capsule (which may end up
being necessary if I can't get Time Capsule to index Spotlight again).

Regards your questions Ronni ...

> Have you been able to backup to Time Capsule initially?

Yes.

> Does Time Capsule appear in Disk Utility or in Finder?

Yes.

> Have you been able to 'select disk' in System Preferences > Time Machine?

Yes.

> Do Attempts to back up get "backup disk is not available" message?

More detail in a second.

> Or is your problem "Time Capsule gets stuck at "Preparing Backup…" ?

No.

> Are you using Airport Utility v5.5.1?

Yes.

As I type, a back up is 20GB through a 104GB back up. I have a 250GB hard disk
with 100GB available. I don't know why the back up is so large. The widget I
spoke of gave recent error details as ...

---------------
Starting standard backup
Attempting to mount network destination using URL:
afp://steven%20know...@time-capsule.local/Data
Mounted network destination using URL:
afp://steven%20know...@time-capsule.local/Data
QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN
Disk image /Volumes/Data-1/MacBook Pro.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Time
Machine Backups
Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb
Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD
Node requires deep traversal:/ reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|
No pre-backup thinning needed: 118.85 GB requested (including padding), 133.81
GB available
Copied 19.6 GB of 96.5 GB, 73391 of 183430 items
Stopping backup.
Error: (-43) SrcErr:NO Copying
/users/steven/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/NML2NDeviceObserver_2010-09-29-193147_MacBook-Pro-2.crash
 to /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb/MacBook Pro
(2)/2010-09-28-085307.inProgress/*******-****-****-****-************/Macintosh
HD/Users/steven/Library/Logs/CrashReporter
Copied 88263 files (19.9 GB) from volume Macintosh HD.
Copy stage failed with error:11
Backup failed with error: 11
Ejected Time Machine disk image.
Ejected Time Machine network volume.
---------------

Those asterisks I've manually included, overtyping a code I thought may be
private.

That backup underway has just failed, with error message in widget showing ....

---------------
Starting standard backup
Network destination already mounted at: /Volumes/Data-1
QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN
Disk image /Volumes/Data-1/MacBook Pro.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Time
Machine Backups
Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb
Event store UUIDs don't match for volume: Macintosh HD
Node requires deep traversal:/ reason:must scan subdirs|new event db|

I've tried the suggestions re identifying the path, still no success on that
note. Happy to hear other suggestions for a fix, but ultimately I guess I may
have to wipe Time Capsule.

Cheers, Steven