Hi Chris (and others)

>From Macrumours today:-
/quote
Much has been made of Intel's issues with a design error on its new Cougar
Point chip used with its Sandy Bridge processors and whether the company's
need to produce revised hardware will delay a highly-anticipated refresh of
Apple's MacBook Pro lineup.

But a new report from AppleInsider suggests that any delays appear to be
minor, on the order of two weeks for machines already in production.
However, one person familiar with the matter tells AppleInsider that some --
not all -- of the company's upcoming MacBook Pros were affected by the
situation. According to this person, the Mac maker elected to make minor
tweaks to the logic boards of those models, but that those changes would
translate to a delay of less than two weeks.

Reading between the lines can only lead to speculation that Apple was an
early recipient of some of those Cougar Point chipsets from Intel, and that
the changes it's making involve tweaks to SATA ports that those MacBook Pros
will utilize.

The report notes that supplies of the MacBook Pro continue to tighten beyond
the initial constraints we reported late last month. Notably, Apple had
reportedly offered major retailers restocking dates of late January for
MacBook Pro models but has since pushed those dates out by a week several
times.

Intel has officially announced that it will begin shipping the dual-core
Sandy Bridge chips for notebooks on February 20th, with those chips expected
to be used in the revised MacBook Pros.
/end quote

So all going well we may see them too not far away.
And yes, supply of some of the current laptops has been a little short.

Although OSX Lion has been mentioned, nothing has been fully confirmed
(except "US Summer 2011". I think I remember reading that WWDC 2011 will be
around June/July, so I would think that is normally when they announce more
about it, and sometimes the date when it will be released. Perhaps a late
year release - August - October?
I guess it will depend how much refinement it needs and bugs squashed out of
it,.... :o)

I'm pretty sure we'll see the newer laptops before Lion though.
My guess would be laptops before March 20th and Lion September 20th. Lol.
Ok, so I have no idea really,..I'm just guessing. But might be good for a
laugh ;o)

Enjoy

Kind Regards
Daniel

On 12/2/11 9:07 AM, "Chris Burton" <c...@it.net.au> wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> I have recently read on a couple of sites that because of the
> 'expected' release of the new MacBook Pros, there was a shortage of
> the current models for sale.
>
> Is this actually the case as I am thinking of upgrading my machine. I
> understand that the i7 models are very nice and noticeably quicker
> than the preceding models (I have a dual core 2.2 with 4gb 667 Ram).
>
> Will the change of chip set also herald the new OS X (Lion I think)?
>
> Regards to all
>
> Chris
>

> On 11/02/2011, at 10:54 PM, Tim Law wrote:
>

>> It intrigues me that for a company the size of Apple, with
>> affiliates all over the place that the are so often rumours,
>> hunches, guesses and indeed a whole raft of people trying to guess
>> what's next - and no one leaks!!
>>
>> There must be some might strong glue holding all these secrets in
>> place. And some really tight processes, probably with many people
>> working on bits of a project but a tiny number knowing how the whole
>> fits together.
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 11/02/2011, at 10:25 PM, Daniel Kerr <wa...@macwizardry.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Maureen
>>>
>>> And just to add to Ronni's post...
>>> Given that according to rumours the next chipset to go in the
>>> MacBookPro is
>>> "possibly" meant to be the Intel dual-core Sandy Bridge processors
>>> and that
>>> Intel have been delayed with it due to some issues, that has put
>>> their
>>> production a bit behind. Apparently they are meant to start
>>> shipping these
>>> around Feb 20th. Assuming that all the manufacturers may have these
>>> on
>>> order, plus previous delays with ones already there to get fixed,
>>> this has
>>> put the delay on the MacBook Pro.
>>> Of course, all based on rumours,.....
>>>
>>> Assuming that everything is all "Ready to go" and it's just waiting
>>> on the
>>> processors to go in,..then we may see them in the next month or two
>>> (March/April).
>>> If there's a backlog to any other reason, then this will add to a
>>> delay in
>>> the revision.
>>>
>>> Of course, this is all based on rumour and theory and guess
>>> work,...so I
>>> could be completely wrong. Just from reading around,....
>>>
>>> I'd like to get an Apple crystal ball,..could make for some
> [...]

---