As others have said the genius bar will help with "Apple" products, but as
soon as they get a sniff of a 3rd party product you'll get a cold shoulder.
The same is true of Applecare telephone support.

Try google, apple.com.au/support, and forums such as this, or go into your
friendly "apple" service and support consultants (ie they are independent
consultants that provide support for apple products) or Apple reseller
stores.

Your first visit should be to where he bought it from, as they should be
able to help. As a matter of course we provide initial setup help at no
extra cost for our customers, Windows or Mac. Unless of course he bought it
online!

Cheers,
Stuart

On 4/09/11 9:44 AM, "Tim Law" <t...@peoplehelp.com.au> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've not used the Apple Genius bar service at the Apple Store in Perth before,
> so am wondering if my (sons) problem can be addressed by them.
>
> He bought an iPod Touch yesterday and plugged it into his (Yes I know this is
> the MAC user group :-)  HP laptop running Windows 7 in 64 bit mode that had
> iTunes installed and a music library in place.   I'm hoping they can, as it is
> a one day old iPod Touch, and we are having trouble installing iTunes to allow
> the iPod Touch to connect and sync.
>
> After four hours his diligent father has given up trying to get the thing to
> accept the iPod Touch, and for iTunes to install correctly. My solution will
> be to add a new user account to my Mac Mini running Lion and letting him sync
> his iTunes music via the Mac and Home Share. The iPod Touch works fine, as we
> come to expect, when connected to the Mac.
>
> It appears this is a common problem for PC users running Windows in 64bit and
> I cannot find a workable solution. I have tried removing and reinstalling all
> Apple products from his PC - using both their own installers, and the PC
> uninstall process, and I am completely sure I have downloaded the 64 bit
> version of iTunes to reinstall - which I have done several times. There are
> unhelpful dialogues that come up even though iTunes indicates it has installed
> correctly, clearly it has not as some drivers are missing from the expected
> folders.  - yay for Windows..... :-(    Bring on iCloud!!
>
> My query is not to help me problem solve, rather to ask whether this is the
> sort of problem that can be addressed by the Apple Store?. Or given the
> calamity that is Windows 64 bit is best for me to just use my work around of
> letting him use a new user account on my Mac Mini to sync and wait for iCloud?
>
> Thanks
>
> Tim

Stuart Evans
T4 Technology

ALBANY
Shop 6, 69 Lockyer Avenue, Albany, WA, 6330
E> stuart.ev...@t4.com.au

BUNBURY
Unit 2/14 Rose Street, Bunbury, WA, 6230

P PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT BEFORE YOU PRINT THIS E-MAIL
_________________________

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: DISCLAIMER

confidential or legally privileged
information or both. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by
any mis-transmission. If you receive
this correspondence in error, please immediately delete it from your system
and notify the sender. You must
not disclose, copy or rely on any part of this correspondence if you are not
the intended recipient.

Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the individual sender,
except where the sender expressly,
and with authority, states them to be the opinions of T4 Technology.

Neither the sender nor T4 Technology warrants that any communication via the
Internet is free of errors, viruses,
interception or  interference. T4 Technology disclaims all liability and
responsibility for any direct or indirect loss
arising from this electronic mail and any attachments. Information is
distributed without warranties of any kind.